Monday, December 10, 2012

Funny Phone Calls from Kate

As soon as Katelyn got a cell phone (when she was 16), our way of communicating with her changed. As typical with teens, she preferred texting to calling. Her first cell phone bills were painful as she tried to balance her texting with her texting limit. She found an ally in her dad who convinced me to just bite the bullet and pay the stinkin' extra 10 bucks a month and get her unlimited texting.

When she was at home I didn't mind the text conversations because I knew she would be home at night and we could have actual voice conversations. But now that she is away at college, I wish she didn't have unlimited texting because that is still her preferred route of communication and I miss hearing her voice.

So I find it absolutely delightful when I get phone calls like this....

"Mom, how do you describe a lentil?"

or

"Mom, what's the name of the book about the three little pigs but told from the wolf's perspective"

or

"Mom, do you think something from the BYU-I bookstore would be just as good as a Seahawk sweatshirt?"


Random subjects, but totally Kate. I love it when she calls. And I am so looking forward to her coming home on Friday (or wait, maybe it's Saturday), she's not quite sure. Whenever it is, I'm taking the phone for those two weeks so she has to talk.

2 comments:

Mom said...

My phone call was "Grandma, how do you make twice baked potatoes?"

Maggie said...

That's awesome. I totally remember making phone calls like that my freshman year.