Saturday, December 22, 2012

A Redemption Run...Sort of

Oh what a difference a week can make in my running world. The wicked, kicking-my-butt head cold is winding down. The dip in hormones is on the way back up. So basically, energy levels are approaching normal levels. I was feeling so confident in my being back, I told Jessica that I would run all 12 miles with her.

Yes I still had to walk some of the big Mission hill, but I ran farther up it than I did last week. And I wasn't totally sucking wind and disoriented when I got to the top like I was last week. That was good. I felt strong running into the lovely head wind we had on the backside of the hill, but I was happy when it was at our backs down the homestretch.

When we hit the 8 mile mark, I was still feeling good. But it was just a short couple of miles later when I began to question why I had decided 12 miles would be a good idea. I hadn't run anything longer than 8 since the end of October. I hit 11.2 and I was done. Actually at 10.3 I was being to slow down, but it wasn't til 11.2 that I just didn't have anything left. Fortunately with a few small walk breaks I was able to get it done, but oh poor Jessica, I'm sure that wasn't the run she wanted to have.

So, you see, a redemption run of sorts. Good for 8 strong miles, a couple of OK miles and then a couple of ending miles just to remind me that I'm 41 and 12 miles is a big deal.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

It was great! Thanks for doing the whole thing with me!