Saturday, October 1, 2011

What You Can't Do Without Parent Permission when You are 17 years and 361 days old

Katelyn has known since she was 12 years old that she could get her ears pierced any time she wanted. She gets terrible anxiety just thinking about getting her ears pierced. It probably has to do with hearing my ear-piercing story one too many times. Her father's rendition of the ear-piercing scene in Parent Trap also was overwhelming for her and not the least bit comforting. So she has just avoided this rite of passage. Up until last night that is.

Last night her best friend texted her and said "I get off at 7. Do you want to finally go get your ears pierced?" I should mention that this friend has a bucket list of things for Katelyn to do--ear-piercing, having a smoothie from Jamba Juice, things of that nature. Anyway, Katelyn texted back, "Sure." Since Dave, Carson and I were heading out to the Homecoming football game, we thought it would be a good thing for her to do with her friend. The only caution I gave her was to think carefully about the ear rings she picked because she would have to wear them for 6 weeks without changing them.

About half-time, Dave gets a phone call from Katelyn. Apparently minors can't get any piercings done without a parent being present. I should have been more sympathetic, but I started laughing as soon as I heard her predicament. She begged and pleaded for Dave to come to the mall and sign the form. Dave quickly handed me the phone, stating "I'm too much of a softy. You talk to her." I told her there was no way I was coming to the mall. She asked me to give the phone back to Dave so she could talk to him again. I did and surprise of all surprises, Dave stuck to his guns and said he wasn't going to make it to the mall. I did tell her before I handed the phone back to Dave that I would be glad to take her the next day (today) to get her ears pierced.

So today was the day. Katelyn and I returned to the shop she was at last night. One of the girls that was working today, was working last night and remembered Katelyn. Katelyn picked out a nice pair of CZ ear rings and prepared for the gun.

Oh, I need to interrupt here and say that her friend managed to convince her to get her ears pierced by telling her that at this shop they put a numbing cream on your ears and you don't feel a thing. Story continues...

So Katelyn is sitting in the chair and asks about the numbing cream. The ear piercing lady said that they don't use the cream for ears because it doesn't make any difference. Katelyn just about called it quits right then, but the lady did a pretty good job at letting her know everything would be alright. She then proceeds with cleaning Katelyn's ear lobes and drawing the location dots on her lobes.

So far, so good. The lady calls over another girl to come and help so that they could do both ears at once. I know they could tell Katelyn was nervous and wanted to do both ears at the same time to get it over with. Well, now Katelyn is saying "I don't think I can do this. I really don't think I can do this." The store is starting to fill with customers and the ear-piercing ladies are getting a little frustrated. They put both guns up to Katelyn's ears and...



She pulls away and covers her ears. Ugh!

The ladies say that they will give us a minute and will wait on the other customers. Poor Kate is almost in tears at this point and feels bad because she knows we can't get our money back. I told her it was OK and that if she wanted to leave she could. She kind-of gathered herself together and I let her just sit and calm down.

While she was sitting, I causually walked up to the counter and asked the ladies if they couldn't please just put some numbing cream (or a placebo for all I cared) on her ears. I told them that really would make all the difference for her. One of the ladies finished up with her customer and put some cream on Kate's ears.

Holy cow, once that cream was on (still not sure if it was the real stuff or not), Kate, while not completely comfortable, was at least able to count them down and followed through on getting her ears pierced. It was over before she could even blink.

Yay!

She did say after we left the store how embarrassing her level of anxiety and refusal to let them pierce her ears was. I just agreed and said she needs to retrain her brain and find some better coping skills.

I took her out for a celebration lunch after that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least it wasn't a trip to the dentist.

Nate

Mom said...

or a float on the Swan......
It's always interesting to see what causes Katie to freak-out because it is so dramatic, unpredictable & really quite rare. Welcome to the pierced-ear club, Katelyn!
As a health-care provider, I thought you knew that ear-piercing was on the "needs parental permission" list just like birth controll pilss, std checks- Oh, most of the really life-changing things don't require parental notification much less permission anymore.

Mom said...

She could have gone on her own if she ahd waitied until day - does NOT seem like 18 years ago-