Monday, October 17, 2011

Trying Out a New Voice

Have you seen the Seinfield episode where the guys all comment on Elaine's boyfriend being a close-talker? The guy always had to be right up in their face when he talked with them. Well, I'm not a close-talker, but I am a loud-talker.

My mom says that up until 2nd grade I was a soft-spoken little girl. Then I had Mrs. McCartney as my 2nd grade teacher and she was a loud-talker. I wasn't the same after that year. I don't really remember Mrs. McCartney as a loud-talker, but I do remember that she spoke with authority and the class straightened right up when she spoke.

I liked the thought of speaking with authority so I guess subconsiously I adopted Mrs. McCartney's loud vocalization. Add to that, the fact that I grew up in a large, noisy family (there were 7 of us), and one might begin to understand why I became a loud-talker. My loud-talking gets worse (I mean louder) when I'm excited or passionate about something that I am speaking of.

But I've decided that if I can learn that trait, I can also un-learn that trait. There wasn't some precipitating event for trying to learn to speak in a softer tone. Over the last month or so I have just become more aware of how loud I sometimes speak compared to others around me. And so today, as I was doing vision/hearing screenings, I decided that I was going to try speak in a softer tone. It seemed like a fun challenge for today. It is taking a concerted effort on my part to remember to speak more quietly, but I'm up for trying it out for a few days. We'll see how it goes and if anyone notices.

PS Yes, my hearing is perfectly OK and not the reason for my loud-talking.

3 comments:

Maggie said...

I vividly remember numerous times in my childhood when my mom (or other adult) told me that I was talking too loud and needed to be quiet. I remember having to put an effort in toward talking at a normal volume. In my memory, that took a very long time to master. Then again I was probably six so you know how reliable those memories are. Not to say that I've mastered it, but I hope you enjoy that challenge.

Mom said...

Couldn't we have been "boisterous" rather than "loud"? Sorry - you were predisposed to have a voice that carries (all of you, must come from both sides) - came in handy when you were a cheer leader-still, it was Mrs McCartney who cranked up the volume to a new level.

Anonymous said...

I think you were just trying to make up for your shortness. :)

Nate