Saturday, October 15, 2011

An Evening with Kate

The boys left for deer camp yesterday. Katelyn didn't have any plans with friends and I finally didn't have some sort of meeting that kept me from getting home before 8 p.m., so we decided to go see a movie. Katelyn had previously expressed interest in seeing Footloose and since it was not on the boys' "must see" list, going to see Footloose was exactly what Kate and I did last night.

It was a fun night together. We sang out loud the title song when it played in the opening scene. We giggled at the same parts and shifted uncomfortably in our seats at the same time during the "sexed up" scenes (I say "sexed up" compared to the original version). She wouldn't let me take a picture of us together because she said she takes terrible pictures, but I submit to you this picture as evidence that she exaggerates her inability to look good in pictures...


The photo she picked to go in the yearbook.
Photo by Randi Brunt



Today as I thought about our night out last night I realized that our relationship is starting to slowly shift to a different level. Up until now our relationship has really been parent/child but last night it started to feel like a little bit more like friend. I'm not sure that "friend" is exactly the right word but that is the best that I can come up with right now. I know that I will always be her parent and I will always be here to give guidance and advice, but I think now she is close to the time of her life where she learns to fly on her own. I wish I could describe the change I am feeling in a better way, but maybe some parent of grown children can help fill in the gaps of what I am trying to say.

Anyway, it was a fun night and I'm glad that I was able to spend it with Kate.

No comments: