Saturday, October 8, 2011

How to Decorate a Curio Cabinet

I have been informed by two of my loyal blog readers that I have not been doing a very good job at keeping up with my blog posts. Apparently they feel that some important happenings have been left undocumented. In order to remedy this, today I will share with you a blog post on decorating.

When Grandma Carol passed away a few weeks ago, David and Carson were called upon to help clear out her apartment. Their efforts were rewarded with one remarkably inappropriate family heirloom and one nice curio cabinet. As long as the family heirloom keeps its barrel on, it is OK and sits on the barrister chest in our kitchen. The curio cabinet was tucked away in a corner of the living room with the thought that I would, at some point in time, fill it up with treasures.

Last Sunday, Carson decided that he would help with filling it with treasures. I heard him fumbling around, rearranging, and carefully placing items for most of the afternoon. I eventually got curious enough to go see what he was so busy placing in the cabinet. This was the scene in the living room...


The boy had decided that the new curio cabinet was the perfect location to display all of his Star Wars figurines and memorabilia. He managed to fill the whole cabinet and still had some things that couldn't fit. I had no idea that he had collected so many Star Wars things. This is the finished product...
Even though it wasn't what I had envisioned going in the curio cabinet, the Star Wars actions will probably stay. They will stay for a couple of reasons. I'm lazy and cheap.

I used to say that I didn't decorate because I didn't really know how to or I didn't have any ideas. Truth be told, I actually do have quite a few good ideas for home decor. I'm just too lazy to actually follow through on those ideas.I don't want to spend my time shopping around for home decor. Decorating isn't really a priority for me so I consider what I've done good enough, even though it is quite minimal.

I also don't like spending money on things that I don't feel are necessities. I realize that home decorating can be done on a budget and even inexpensively, but did you happen to catch the part about me being lazy? Usually decorating inexpensively requires shopping around at thrift stores, garage sales, clearance sales, etc. I have already established that I don't like to do that because it's not a priority and I'm too lazy to dedicate time to things that I don't consider a priority. And I am definitely too cheap to hire a decorator to make up for my lack of initiative and enthusiam regarding decorating.

So, since Carson took the initiative to fill the curio cabinet with his Stars Wars things and I'm too lazy and cheap to spend any time looking for other things to put in the cabinet, that little Star Wars shrine will probably remain intact either until Carson decides he wants those things at his own house someday or I die.

I wonder which will come first?


3 comments:

Jenny said...

Maybe someday we'll see Carson on HGTV

Maggie said...

You sound like Dan. I'm glad to know its not going anywhere anytime soon. I'd like to see the finished product in person.

jessica said...

Oh my gosh...this post is so hilarious to me! The decorator in me is dying, but I love the practicality of it and the fact that Carson did this all on his own makes me absolutely love it! You really need to go shopping with me sometime...I will make it fun for you, I promise.