Monday, October 10, 2011

Homecoming 2011


Katelyn was asked to Homecoming this year. You have no idea how relieved I was when she was asked. The fact that she didn't get asked to any formal dances last year and was only asked to this year's Homecoming 2 weeks before the dance, brought back all of my old anxieties from my high school years. I never got asked to the dances. I only went to a few (3 or 4)  formal dances in high school because I asked the guy. I was crushed. Those feelings of "What's wrong with me?" actually lingered for quite awhile after high school, even though I got married just a year after graduating.

I certainly didn't want to project those feelings on to Katelyn and make her feel that something was wrong with her since she didn't get asked to any dances last year. So I tried not to make a big deal out of things when the dances came and went. That also meant that I didn't ask Katelyn how she was feeling about things. But this year was different. A couple of days before she was asked to Homecoming I asked her how she was feeling about not getting asked to a dance. She said, "It's no big deal. I don't ever get asked any way." I was crushed because I could tell by the tone of voice that it was a big deal and it did bother her. I wanted so bad to take that hurt away.

So, yes, I was so relieved when she was asked. And she was absolutely delighted, thrilled, excited, and almost every other positive adjective you can think of.

And wasn't she beautiful on Homecoming night?

4 comments:

Mom said...

Katelyn did look lovely. I think even when you were in high schiool but much more now, it is mostly the kids who are exclusively dating or huge groups that go to the formal dances -Dan's group kind of "drew straws" to see who was going with whom unless you were a couple (Buzz & Linsey.) The up side, I guess, is that you can go in a big bunch without so much stigma attached. The down side still not being asked by one person ( with the associated lack of opportunity to gain new social skills.) Katelyn has winter formal & prom still coming so she can wow them a couple times more.
PS I think you "scared" a goodly portion of the boys who might have asked-

Mom said...

PSS I also see that Homecoming was before the curio cabinet became the shrine to the force.

Maggie said...

Kate is so beautiful.

jessica said...

She looks beautiful! Being a mom and not projecting your own insecurities on your kids takes so much work! You are awesome Heather, and I love that your mom said you scared away most of the guys that would have asked...that's hilarious!