Saturday, March 5, 2011

Trucks Vs. Dolls. Can't They Just Be Friends?

Conversation overheard in bathroom at church between a mom and her 3-year-old daughter 3-year old: "I like (insert 2 year old boy name). He is my friend." Mom: "You can't be friends with boy." Girl: "Why? He's nice." Mom: "Because what are you going to do when you want to play with your dolls and he wants to play trucks?" Girl: "He could play with me. He likes dolls." Mom: "No. Boys like trucks and mud. They want to eat bugs. You don't want to eat bugs do you?" Girl: "They might be good. I like boy. He doesn't eat bugs." Mom: "He might eat bugs. All little boys eat bugs." Conversation continues, but I'm finished in the bathroom. I'm not sure why, but this conversation really bothered me. What do you think?

4 comments:

Mom said...

I'm sure it bothered you because of the rejection any idea of being friends with the boy. That was a bit over the top(almost like "cooties" from grade school)but boys do like trucks & mud (even if yours didn't like mud) and most don't want to play with dolls. Maybe the mom just knew it would lead to unhappiness with this little girl. I probably would have gotten a laugh at overhearing it but then I'm now a grandma & some things are funnier from a distance. I don't think the mom was really as anti-boy as she sounded.

Maggie said...

I don't know if I would have been bothered, but I do think that mom sounds a bit extreme. Maybe she has another reason for steering her daughter away from this boy.

Jenny said...

Maybe the mom doesn't like to play with boys?!

Lindsey said...

Yeah, I don't like anything that spews gender in-equality in anyway. Boys are yucky. Girls are good. We all just need to like each other!