Wednesday, March 9, 2011

This Year I'm Celebrating Lent

I've heard about Lent for several years from my co-workers who are Catholic, Lutheran, and Methodist. The conversation usually revolves what they are "giving up" for Lent--usually caffeine, refined sugar, chocolate, etc, but they never really have shared what Lent is all about. A quick Internet search reveals Lent is the 40-day period of time leading up to Easter; although some Eastern Orthodox religions observe 60 days. During this period of time, the focus should be placed on developing a closer relationship with God and preparing for the miracle of Easter--at least that is what I interpret Lent to mean from what I have read. I think the "giving something up" that my friends refer to is a small way to participate in the fast and self-denial that is part of Lent. This sacrifice is supposed to be replaced by more intense scripture study, service to others, and drawing closer to God. With drawing closer to God in mind, and trying to eliminate bad habits that keep me from feeling His Spirit with me, I have decided to give up procrastination for Lent. Oh sure, there are many things that I procrastinate that don't really have an impact on my relationship with God (Hello, mounds of paperwork waiting to be filed at work, I am talking to you); but there are also several things that I do procrastinate that really do impact my relationship with God. I tend to procrastinate having difficult conversations. Impact: often I sit and stew and feel somewhat bitter towards whoever I need to have the difficult conversation with. Or I feel "less than" because I can't handle mustering up the courage to talk. Feeling "less than" almost always makes me focus more inward and less on my Heavenly Father. I tend to procrastinate giving my forgiveness to those who I feel have wronged me. Impact: feeling less love towards the person, and hence, my spirit is darkened. Approaching my Heavenly Father to ask for forgiveness when I know that I am purposely not forgiving someone because I just don't feel like "hugging it out yet" is very hypocritical and can cause me to withdraw until I'm ready to forgive. I tend to procrastinate apologizing even if I know I am wrong. Impact: Duh, PRIDE! Always keeps me from feeling closer to God. I tend to procrastinate listening and following the promptings of the Holy Ghost. Often times it is because I doubt that I really heard a prompting or I'm afraid to act on it because I don't want to be wrong. Impact: Harder to hear and identify the promptings when they do come. My hope is that by the end of Lent this really bad habit of procrastination will be broken and I will indeed feel closer to God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No "words of wisdom" from this procrastinator, but lots of love and support, whenever you need it. We thank our Heavenly Father every day for you and your sweet family
Love you
Dad