Tuesday, March 8, 2011

How-to Speak Your Teen-ager's Love Language

Step 1: Recognize that your teen-ager's number 1 love language is "acts of service". And since he left this morning in his usual "uniform" (read: shorts and a t-shirt) when the weather was OK and now it looks like this

You think you should take him something warm so life doesn't suck while walking home from the bus stop.

Step 2: Have an argument with yourself about letting said teen-ager suffer the natural consequences of his decision vs. speak his love language and giving the appearance of "rescuing" him.

Step 3: Allow "nice mom" version to win the argument and drop off these

at the high school so he will have them for the bus ride home.

Step 4: Receive a "Thanks for thinking of me, Mom" comment as the teen-age walks in the door after school--minus the sweatshirt and hat.

Step 5: Just smile and enjoy the fact the boy at least recognized you made an effort.

PS This is probably not the type of "how-to" post this blogger was looking for, and probably why I will never be a widely-read "Mormon Mommy Blogger", but oh well. It was a fun way to post about today's adventure with teen-age boy.

Next Tuesday I may post about adventure with teen-age girl, out-of-control texting, and consequences of such actions. We'll see.

PPS Someone please send me a "how to" tutorial on these things:

  • commenting on the above-mentioned blogger's blog--I can't figure out how to disable my cookies. Heck, sometimes I can't even find my cookies.
  • connecting our PS3 to the internet
  • OR....connecting our "internet-ready" TV to internet, then we wouldn't need to worry about the PS3.

As you can tell, I'm a little behind on technology, and except for the out-of-controlling texting, my teen-agers are too (or so they have me believing).

5 comments:

Mom said...

You can't eat cookies - no wonder you can't find them.
Dan would call (from the office in those pre-cell phone days) & tell me where the extra jeep keys were so I could leave things like his football pants, once washed, in the jeep....

Mom said...

PS Your blog linked with "said blogger" so you did it!

jessica said...

Normally I am okay with tech stuff, but you've got me with the tv/internet connection thing...cute post.

Jessica said...

Heather, I loved this. And I'm really interested in next week's.

Hopefully Christie will head over and fix your commenting problem...weird!

Christie said...

This is EXACTLY what kind of a post I was hoping for! This is awesome and so sweet. I love the internal debate - do it or not? I so do that as a mom.

As far as the comments - weird. I've never heard of that before. I have my blog set up so people can even comment anonymously - have no idea about cookies except the kind you eat. :-)

Thanks so much for playing along! I look forward to your teenage girl/texting posts. I am on the verge of that stage of life...help!