Wednesday, March 23, 2011

How To Nag, Slyly

Yesterday I wasn't feeling up to playing "how-to Tuesday". Fortunately, I was feeling back to my spunky self just in time. Just in time for what, you ask. Read on and learn how to sneakily nag your husband about a worn-out, nagged-about subject. You see my husband is "old"--well, only 40 actually. When he turned 40, he assured me that he would make a doctor's appointment to get a baseline on some important markers (PSA, cholesterol, lipids, etc). He also said that he would finally get to the dentist. He has been once in the last 12 years and maybe only twice in the other 8 years of our marriage. So folks, that is a grand total of 3 times in the last 20 years. It's almost 6 months past his birthday and still no visits to the doctor or dentist, not even appointments on the books. I've tried gentle reminders. I've tried the "if you cared about us, you'd make the appointments" card. I've even tried outright nagging. NOTHING has worked. Then, as we were watching the morning news, a story came on that gave me another opportunity. But this time I was a little more subtle. I didn't outright tell him he needed to see the doctor. I told him that the story gave me a reason for, um let's say, "inaction" in certain "activities". After all, a little inaction on my part is just looking after his health and well-being. That was the take-home message I got from the news story. Now let's see if he doesn't get to the doctor and dentist. Because, apparently (and according to the news so it must be true), older gentlemen need medical clearance.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Don't know that this is nagging so much as, ummmmmm, coercion. Sometimes it's whatever it takes. Besides, he had more dental visits than that for his tooth implant. You might need to go with though after his performance at the MRI-

Lindsey said...

I would call it down right blackmail, but it works! :)