Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Quarterly Report

I can't believe it is the end of the first quarter already! It seems like January was just yesterday and I was sharing about what personal goals I had set for myself this year. But three months really has gone by and it is time to re-evaluate my progress. So if you don't really care how I have been doing, now is a good time to stop reading because the rest of this post is a review for posterity's sake. So am I becoming more temperate? I had set up 3 interventions to help me along the way. Let's look at each one individually to see how it is working. First, I was going to refer often to a talk given by Elder Watson on developing temperance. Well I think it is been about a month or so since I read it last, so maybe it is time to revisit that. Next, I was going to read my scriptures daily. OK, this one I totally suck at. I don't know why I just can't seem to sit down and read daily from the scriptures. Yes, I know all the blessings that come from this and that reading and applying scriptures to my daily life will draw me closer to Christ. And yes, becoming more Christ-like is what I really want and yet, I fall short all.the.time. when it comes to reading His words. Maybe I need to re-examine if I really do want to be more Christ-like since I seem to be having difficulty reading scriptures daily. Am I just saying "I want to be more Christ-like" because I know that's what is expected? And is there something terribly wrong with saying it if I don't 100% mean it--I mean isn't there a saying "Fake it 'til you make it"? Whew, after typing all that out, it really hurt my soul. Yes, I DO want to be more like Christ. I'm not just trying to fake it 'til I make it. I need to do better at scripture study. No more excuses. Third, I was going to try yoga. I was doing a restorative yoga class on Saturday mornings and I absolutely loved it. Unfortunately long runs and kids' activities have eliminated that as a possibility for now. But I will get back to it. I will. And finally, I had set a mini-goal to reduce snide, snarky, and sarcastic remarks to only 2 a day. Um, I kind-of forgot about this goal so I really didn't keep track of how I was doing. So with all of that said, do I think I have been making progress on becoming more temperate? Yes, in some ways. Even my kids have noticed some changes, despite the fact that they described me as "freezing rain". The developing of temperance has been a blessing when in regards to a certain naughty black lab that lives at our house. The only drawback to self-improvement? You see how many other things you need to improve on and sometimes it's hard to stay focused.

1 comment:

Suburban Turmoil said...

I'm doing the Beth Moore "Breaking Free" study right now, which requires a LOT of Bible reading each day, and I'm LOVING IT. And I've realized that it would be a tremendous help to always have some kind of personal Bible study going on at all times so that I can realistically read my Bible every day. I just get a lot more out of the experience when there's someone's commentary involved. So I'm on the hunt now for a personal study to do once the Beth Moore study has ended.

Just a thought. :)