Saturday, March 13, 2010

Hey, That's a Lizard Trick

I don't miss much about hospital nursing. The politics and backbiting got old really quick and the hours were crap. But there are times (like when I am nit-picking a child's head for the 3rd or 4th time) that I find myself wistfully daydreaming of some of the more interesting things that I saw at the hospital and clinics--the herion addict who was hallucinating because the resident decided to use ketamine as a sedative while he drained an absess. That was interesting--the guy thought I was Bugs Bunny. Or the guy who nail-gunned a board to his hand. That was definitely not run-of-the-mill. And I'll never forget the gangbanger who came in with a gunshot wound to his calf and then cried like a baby when I tried to give him a shot of morphine for the pain. I almost told him to quit acting like a baby. Yes, those things were interesting. But now I am in a place where it's more often ice pack and band-aids that get doled out. So when something interesting rolls through the door, well, I get almost a little giddy. Like the broken arm a couple of weeks ago--the one that was almost u-shaped. And then there was the bloody nose on Friday. Most of the time a bloody nose is no big deal. Often, the bleeding has stopped by time the kiddo gets to the health room because the blood is from them picking their nose. Sometimes, though, it takes a little bit longer for the bleeding to stop. Usually some forceful pinching for about 15 minutes will be enough. When that doesn't work, I usually have the kiddo gently blow their nose to eliminate any clots. Gentle blow, clot comes out, pinch for 5 minutes and Viola, bleeding stop. Friday, pinching for about 15 minutes. Not really stopping so have the kiddo gently blow. Blood squirts out from his eyeball, just like some lizards can do. So cool. Haven't seen that before. Sent the kiddo home with his mom with instructions to take him to the urgent care. Would have loved to have been at the urgent care to see what size of clot came out of his nose.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Don"t tell that to the poor child's mother - unless you know she shares our off-beat sense of humor.