Saturday, December 7, 2013

Something Was Lost in Re-telling

The other night Dave had to take Carson to the urgent care. Carson had a spider bite or perhaps beginning of a skin infection on his forearm, whatever it was it needed to be looked at since the redness and swelling was getting worse. After Dave's episode at Carson's MRI, I usually don't ask him to take the kids to the doctor, but I had something else going on so Dave was up.

When the boys got home they walked in the door chuckling and shared how the visit went. It went something like this...

The doctor was trying to make small talk during the examination so he asked Carson what he his future career plans were. Carson said he wanted to be an architect. The doctor then asked if Carson was smart. Carson said "Yeah, I'm pretty smart." Then the doctor asked what Carson's GPA was and Carson said "Not that smart." The doctor then said "Well what is it?" Carson then shared his less-than-smart GPA to which the doctor said "Yeah, you're dumb."

So here's the kicker...the boys were totally laughing during the re-telling. I laughed because they were laughing but on further reflection of the conversation I became a little irritated. First, I couldn't believe that an urgent care doctor was so nosy about Carson's GPA. Why not make small talk about something else? Furthermore, where does the doctor get off telling Carson he is dumb? He has no connection to Carson, doesn't know his situation or that he really is smart kid. Totally unprofessional in my opinion.

But since Carson came home laughing about it and still laughs about it now (as well as agreeing with the doctor that his GPA is dumb), I guess I will let it go. I won't drop the doctor a little note letting him know that Carson's grandpa is the one who signs his paychecks. There must have been something lost in the re-telling.

No comments: