Friday, December 6, 2013

Brrr, It's Dang Cold Outside

We are currently in the middle of an Artic blast. It feels like I picture it must feel like in the Yukon during "early" winter (early winter is a term my niece Charlotte coined to describe fall in Minnesota). I think early winter in the Yukon is probably even colder than early winter in Minnesota. Anyway, the lows are in the single digits and the high for today is supposed to be 12. As if the temperatures weren't cold enough, we now have strong winds blowing that drive the wind chill temperatures down to the negative double digits. That is dang cold. Too dang cold to be outside for running so that means I have to run on the treadmill. Blech.

About the only time I am warm all day is an hour before bedtime and when I am sleeping.  During those times my body turns into a super-charged furnace. Seriously it feels like I am on fire. Dave and the kids (well really just Carson) want to sit with me on the cuddle couch so they can get warmed, but it just gets too hot and somebody has to move. I usually flinch first and move. Bedtime is the worst because I want to turn the heat down to 61 or 62 so I can sleep comfortably, but apparently that is too cold for the kids. Dave doesn't really notice because, well, he sleeps with his own personal super-charged furnace, but the kids have informed me that I am trying to freeze them. Matter of fact, Katelyn said the other night she slept in running tights, wool socks, a shirt, footie pajamas, had her fuzzy blanket and quilt pulled up around her ears and she was still cold. That's no good. We are trying to find a happy compromise between the 61-62 I would like the thermostat set at and the 71 the kids would prefer. The problem is that they are stinky little buggers and will get up and turn up the thermostat after I have gone to bed.

The good news is that this round of Artic air is supposed to be replaced by a little warmer air by the middle of the week next week. The bad news is that it will still be cold enough for the moisture that rolls in with the warmer air will roll in as snow. But at least I can run outside in the snow. That makes me happy.

No comments: