Thursday, December 12, 2013

It's Winter and Static Happens


During the winter our house becomes a lesson in static electricity. Some of us have multiple opportunities a day to learn about static charges and shocking. When the kids were little Dave used to put on fleece socks and scuff his feet along the ground. He would then chase the kids around the house with them squealing "Not the shocker socks" and giggling the whole way. They are too old now to appreciate that game. Sad that they have to grow up.

Unfortunately I seem to be the one who carries the biggest charge. Go figure, the smallest one in the house is the one who can create the biggest spark. I can even generate static while walking through the grocery store and shock myself anytime I try to open one of the freezer doors. Sometimes the static is so bad that I shock myself just pushing the cart. And it doesn't matter how cold it is while I am gassing up my car, I will not get back in the car to wait while the car fills. I would be one of those people who blows up the gas station with a single spark (The MythBusters said that this could actually happen).

At home it is so bad that I have to ground myself before I touch the light switch plate or the volume control on the sound bar (I've shorted it out a couple of times, but turning it off and letting it rest resets it). Before giving Dave a kiss I have to touch his arm or cheek because trying to kiss him without grounding is very painful. We give literal meaning to setting off sparks with a kiss. We look pretty funny as we slowly, carefully move in for a kiss but have to touch a cheek or hand before lips actually touch. We've tried adding humidity to the house, but to no avail. I'm still the shocker lady.

Thinking about dry winter air and static electricity makes me wonder if I'll still have this problem when I move to South Carolina. More points for Charleston if it means no shocking each other through the winter season.

No comments: