Monday, April 8, 2013

I Should Have Gone "Dragon Mom" on Them

I enjoy music very much. I play the piano well enough to get by in called to fill in for Primary. In a push I could play for Sacrament meeting if they were willing to have a pianist instead of an organist. I think I could still play the clarinet fairly well, although I haven't touched a clarinet in more than 20 years. I love to sing and sing frequently. Music really is a big part of my life and my interests.

Love of music and playing an instrument was something I wanted to pass on to my children. They each took piano lessons in their younger years. Carson even ventured into the realm of band world his 6th grade year attempting to learn to play the trumpet. Katelyn was more interested in choir (she did at least continue with this through her first semester of college). But truth be told, the children got the better of me. I got tired of the whining, the fighting to get the required practice time in, etc. I turned into a lazy parent and just gave up trying to force the issue.

Watching young harpists perform this past Sunday and listening to the middle school jazz band today made me regret my laziness. I wished I had taken a lesson from the Dragon Mom and been tougher in my insistence on learning an instrument.

Someone in our family has recently developed an itch in wanting to learn to play an instrument. Dave mentioned this past week that he wants to learn to play the banjo. Upon hearing that revelation Carson piped up that learning the guitar would be pretty cool. Oh maybe there is hope.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Dan has a banjo he could practice on if you wanted to give it a test run before buying one.

Katelyn said...

I was the one who said that I wanted to learn how to play the guitar. Not Carson. I've always wanted to know how to play the guitar