Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Acceptance

I have been restless at my job lately. Actually, I have been feeling bored and unfilled and perhaps a little forgotten or unnoticed. Those things make me feel restless because if I'm honest I want to feel appreciated.

When I applied for my position as a school nurse 11 years ago, I prayed to Heavenly Father that I might get the job if it was a good fit for me, for our family, and in line with His will. On the day of the interview I remember feeling pretty calm up until my turn for interview. They were interviewing 2 other candidates that day and the one proceeding me in the interview line was already employed by the district. As I saw her leave the interview room, my heart fell as I was pretty sure she had the job in the bag and the interview for her was just a formality in the process. I still went ahead with my interview and gave it all I had figuring "what do I have to lose?" Imagine my surprise, elation, and gratitude when I received a call later that afternoon offering me the position of school nurse. I immediately said a prayer of thanks to my Heavenly Father and promised to do my best to do His will and follow His lead as I performed my duties as a school nurse.

Fast forward 11 years and here I am today, restless and looking for something more. At least I was until this morning. This morning as I watched this General Conference address the Spirit spoke to me and whispered "You and your service is acceptable to the Lord." I realized that my restlessness was growing from several different feelings. First, I was looking for recognition from my colleagues that they appreciated the job I do. Second, more than a little pride was starting to creep in and saying to myself, "you should/could be doing so much more with your degree and skill set." Third, I wasn't sure that this was where the Lord wanted me any more.

Because of all those feelings, I had been praying for a new direction. A new adventure for learning and growth. I had several different ideas, but as I started investigating each route nothing felt quite right. And they aren't right for right now. I feel confident that when the Lord is ready to move me, He will. Until then I can find comfort in knowing that right now I am where I am and that is acceptable to Him.

No comments: