Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A Four Star Day and a Stick in the Mud

On occasion I will read my horoscope for the day, but only if it is a 4 or 5 star day. No sense in adding the potential for a gloomy day. I also don't put much stalk in what the horoscope says, but sometimes it does resemble my reality.

Today was a four star day so I read what was said. I can't remember the first part of the horoscope, but the second part said "Sometimes your peers view you as a stick in the mud when it comes to spontaneity". I don't know if my peers think of me this way, but I know that my husband does. And my son just concurred with the sentiment as I was telling him what my post is about.

I am trying to be better about adjusting to spur of the moment plans. I used to tell Dave that if he wanted to plan a surprise getaway, he needed to schedule it with me first. I tried to not be a total stick in the mud and said he didn't need to tell me where we were going, but I did need to know when we were going. I had to plan ahead, check my schedule, arrange for babysitting, etc.

The kids can pretty much take care of themselves now. Katelyn actually does since she is off to school. Carson is happy if there is cold cereal in the pantry and Marie Callendar's pot pies in the freezer. So I guess that argument has lost its wind.

We have a family calendar that is supposed to be filled out, with each family member having their own color. Dang, another argument against spontaneity shot down.

So now I am trying to learn to let go of the need to obsessively plan and prepare. It's hard to change a part of me that has taken me years to hone, but I can see the benefit of being a little more spontaneous. It might spice things up a little (please don't read that to me that I think things are boring now). I'm willing to give it a shot anyway.

No comments: