Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I'll Tell You What I Want, What I Really Really Want

I was going to write an open letter to my family telling them that what I want, really really want is a hot shower in the morning. However, I discovered that there is something else that I want just a little bit more than a hot shower (although it would be nice to have a hot shower when I'm chilled to the bone in the morning).

So what I want, what I really really want is to be able to look at my childrens' progress reports and shout for joy rather than groan in disappointment. I want my smart, capable children to care enough about their grades to put forth their best effort all the time. I want them to understand that turning in their assignments on time is part of putting forth their best effort. I want them to not tell me every night "No, I don't have any homework" when it is clear that there are things they can be doing. What I want is for them to live up to their potential. I want them to be working harder than me on securing their success in academics.

If I can't have those things, then what I want is to be the kind of mother who won't kick the kids to the curb when they come crying because their first choice college plans don't work out because of their grades and they have no back up plan. Because you know what? My gut reaction would be to be less than sympathetic & say "I told you so. Guess you should have cared a little more about your grades and performance. Good luck out there in the world."

Is that too much?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Caleb has been living sans ipod and hanging out with friends for the last week due to this very issue. It's very frustrating sometimes, but I wasn't so different in high school. I drove Mr. Allmand crazy because I would never do Chem homework but still got A's on tests. He couldn't understand why I was ok with the B I was getting, instead of doing the homework and getting an A. Unfortunately, that laziness has contributed much to where I find myself professionally today.

Nate