Sunday, July 24, 2011

Taking a Stab at Carson's Homework

Carson is taking an independent-study creative writing course this summer. I was so impressed when he picked this course out of all the available independent study courses. He actually is quite a good writer so I'm excited to see the growth that will surely occur with taking this course.

Watching Carson work on this course has stirred a dream I haven't thought about since I was in about 4th grade. When I was in elementary school I really wanted to be a writer. I had a notebook full of stories, thoughts/ideas, and plays. As I got older and became more self-conscious about my perceived lack of talent, I buried that dream and never really thought more about it--until now. The other day Carson shared with me one of the prompts that he was given to use as a starting point for a one-page story. I don't know how much Carson has worked on developing a story from this prompt, but I have spent several nights developing the story in my head. Now I just need to put it down on paper and maybe share it.

Maybe I have a project for my 40's--rekindling that writing dream.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Would you still want to be "Harriet the Spy" or "Heather the Great?"
Enjoy Girls' Camp! (could give you some story ideas)