Tuesday, July 12, 2011

He Did It--The STP in a Day

Carson and I spent last Saturday being support crew for Dave as he rode in the Seattle to Portland bike ride. He completed all 204 miles in one day. To me, that is one impressive feat. I'm not sure that I could be that determined. I think a crash like Dave had at the Loreen Miller ride (a century ride he did on Father's Day) would have deterred me from riding a bike for a very long time. But he was a brave soul, got back on the the proverbial horse, and decided not to let the months of training go to waste.

I wasn't super great about getting pictures. I have no start line pictures because I didn't go to the start line with him. He and his brother left Puyallup at 3 o'clock in the morning so they could be at the UW by 4:15. They (Dave, his brother, Mike, and Mike's friend William) left in the first wave of riders at 4:45 a.m. We first saw them as they rode into Spanaway at 8:15 a.m. The guys stopped briefly for a natural break, a chat, and a kiss. The next stop was in Centralia at around 11:15 a.m. The stop was a little longer here because they had lunch. The road trip continued and we saw them again in Winlock. Here I actually remembered to get my camera out and took a picture of Dave. 

We missed them at the next stop just outside of Kelso because they were so smokin' fast. We caught them a few miles down the road from the pit stop and fueled them up with good ole Quater Pounders. We saw them one more time in St. Helens, Oregon and then it was on to the finish line at Portland. They rolled into Portland at 6:25 p.m. I did manage to get a few more pictures here.
Crossing the finish line--Dave is the rider in red

Dave and Carson with Carson's version of a support sign.

Dave and his brother, Mike

William, Dave, and Mike
Dave said it was a good ride and he is already looking for the next event for this summer.

On Sunday we stopped at Mt. St. Helen's on the way home, but I'll save those pictures for another post. This post was about Dave for Dave.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Well, Carson didn't have "you're entering the Twillight Zone" on the sign anyway!
Congratulations to Dave. I'm glad his injuries didn't keep him from the ride.