Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Good-bye 30's

On Sunday I said good-bye to my 30's and welcomed the new decade of life called "the 40's". I did so much during my 30's that I wonder if my 40's will be able to keep up.

In my 30's I:
  • moved to a new city.
  • received a 2nd bachelor's degree and a master's degree.
  • started my first 40 hr/week job because my children were in school full-time.
  • started this blog.
  • went on some really great vacations; some places we visited more than once because we had such a great time there.
  • lived longer with my husband than I did with my parents.
  • celebrated my 20th wedding anniversary.
  • had a couple of health scares, but everything worked out OK
  • became a runner and dabbled with a few triathlons.
  • ran 5 half-marathons.
  • had several ups and downs with my testimony, but with each down came a significant amount of spiritual growth.
  • served in several different callings at church; some I really enjoyed, others not so much.
  • developed a few really frustrating food allergies.
  • made some really great friends.
  • found some new interests, like gardening and photography. Pretty good at the gardening thing, photography not so much.
  • enjoyed being an aunt and greeting each new niece and nephew.
  • learned to love my husband in a deeper way and appreciate him for all he does for me and our family (read--became less selfish)
  • discovered that being a parent to teen-agers is absolute kick and I love it.
I'm sure there were other things that I did in my 30's that should have made this list, but right now they escape me. I hope that doesn't signal a sign of aging--diminished memory. I am looking forward to some of the changes that this next decade will surely bring; others I'm not sure I will embrace so readily (such as the possible post-menopausal weight gain). But most of all I just don't want my time to be a waste. I want to know and follow the plan God has for me.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Makes me tired just to read it - you've been a busy girl.

jessica said...

Happy (belated) Birthday!!! I only have 4 1/2 years left in my thirties...I better start livin' it up! You have quite an impressive list of accomplishments...

Well if you want to run four on Monday morning we will be at the corner of cv and mission at 7am ;)