Monday, July 18, 2011

I Tri'd at Hayden Lake

As you might guess, I am the one putting on the yellow cap
About a month ago I was running with some ladies from church. They were busy talking about their training. I asked what they were training for and they said the Hayden Lake Triathlon. I just tucked that little tidbit of information into my brain and didn't say much other than "good luck."

Well as so often happens, that little tidbit continued to grow and the thought of doing a triathlon became appealing again. I was a little nervous about getting ready because of the short timeline--4 weeks really isn't a lot of time to train. Fortunately, I had a really strong cardiovascular base from all of my running so I really only needed to get my arms ready to swim a 1/2 mile and my legs ready for a 12 mile bike ride followed by a 3 mile run.

I had some other friends who were training for a triathlon the week before the Hayden Lake triathlon so I hopped in with them on their training schedule. Training with friends is so much better than training on your own.

I felt ready to roll on Saturday. I was as prepared as I could be.

Don't I look confident and excited? OK, maybe it was a forced smile, but I was excited & feeling pretty confident.

The race went pretty well. My swim was about what I expected it to be. The thing I felt happiest about with the swim was that I finally started out aggressive and didn't hyperventilate. My bike was way faster than I expected it to be--a lot faster than I had trained. That was good and bad news. Good because it was fast. Bad because my body wasn't used to where my heart rate was at as I transitioned to the run. Because my heart rate was more elevated that I was used to, my run was a little slower than it had been during my training, but I was still able to finish strong.


Goal finish time was 1 hour 30 minutes. Actual finish time was 1 hour 31 minutes. Overall, it was a good race. I was so grateful for my support crew (David, Carson, and my friend Marla). I'm pretty sure that I'll do this one again next year; hopefully with the same group of ladies from church.




The ladies who inspired me to tri again.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Bugs. Now, just remember to keep hydrated, use sun block....
Love you
Dadio

jessica said...

IMPRESSIVE! Way to go!