Saturday, June 4, 2011

"Best Of": Memories from Disney World

Last week our little family joined with my parents, siblings, spouses, and kids in Disney World. When we were all together, we were one big family--27 of us, total. I had a wonderful time. Here are some of my "best of" moments and award winners (if we were giving awards).

Best Dad/Grandpa: My dad. This trip wouldn't have been possible for most of my siblings if it weren't for Dad. He also provided the grandkids with "Grandpa cash" each day. He helped herd the herd of little kids. Dad even bought each kid a t-shirt that seemed to match their personality, except for Kate, she got a tub of mismatched socks. Those socks were perfect for her and she loved them.

Best Line by a Teen-ager:
"Mom, I think you need to hire either a Spanish-speaking or French-speaking nanny for me just so they can read me stories."

Sometimes my boy has the quirkiest sense of humor.

Best Line by an 8-year old boy:
"What a rip-off."

This was uttered by Travis every time he found something to buy but didn't have quite enough money for the item.

Best Line by a 4-year old girl:
"Aunt Heather what's your plan?"
"My plan?"
"Yes. After dinner, what's your plan?"
"My only plan, Charlie, is to make sure everyone is having a good time. Are you having a good time?"
"Yes, I'm having a good time."

That last line was the best line. It meant that all of the pre-planning and researching had paid off.

Best Husband/Funnest Uncle:
Hands down goes to my guy, Dave. Yes, I'm totatlly biased and I'm sure my sister and sisters-in-law would pick their own guys, but let's all just agree that my guy is the best.

Best Gift to Me:
In case you didn't know, I'm the runt of the family. That usually means that anytime I'm together with my brothers, one or two of them feel it necessary to pick me up and squish me so hard I think my ribs are going to break. This trip not one of them did that. Thank you for giving me a break, brothers.

"What a Trooper" Award:
This one is hard to pick just one, but I think it has to go to baby Adrienne. Truly amazing that a 4-month old baby could stand the heat, the long hours in the park, the disrupted schedule, etc and hardly be fussy.

Most Inspirational Award:
This one goes to Sara Ann. I can't begin to describe the amount of admiration I have for her. Just managing a toddler and a 2-month old is a feat, but she also did a great job with my brother's (her husband) 3 older children.


So those are some of my "best of" memories. Family members who read this blog, what are some of your favorites? Please leave a comment (or several). Once I get the pictures downloaded, I'll post some of them. Does anyone know how to make a photo collage and how to post that on the blog?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My "best of award" is my "Eternal Gratitude Award" for your mom. She is the one who makes all things possible. Without her love and support, none of us would have had the rich lives we now enjoy. She is my rock. Seeing her joy at having all of you together is one of those "infinite moments" I will keep in my heart.
Dadio

Nurse Graham said...

That's awesome, Dad.

I have another "best of" memory. That is "Best time with a teen-ager"...shopping at Downtown Disney with my girl, Kate. Dave and I had such a great time spending time with just Kate.

Anonymous said...

I guess we'll just have to mash you twice the next time we see you. Hopefully we'll make it up that way sometime this summer, at the very least we have to get the trumpet.
We had a great time at Disney. If I think of any "best of" moments I'll let you know.

Nate

Anonymous said...

So, I remembered my "best of" moment. "Best comment on the food" ... Me to Carson after eating at Chefs de France "Hey, did you like your duck?" Carson "Yeah, it was good. But it made me crap a ton!"
Caleb had a really good time with Carson.

Nate

Mom said...

My best moment came Saturday night at dinner when everyone was enjoying dinner - the trip had lived up to all the high expectations! There had been no arguements, the cousins had had a great time & gotten along very well, we hadn't had to call on either of our doctors nor our nurse for any medical emergencies - everyone truly had done "Disney their way" and all were going home with happy memories and a bit of pixie dust in their hair. There were many sweet moments to be sure but knowing that everyone had a grand time was the best for me.

Jenny said...

That Pixie dust lingered a LONG time on the scalps of a couple of princesses I know. Even with "the scratchies" when I washed their hair. What a wonderful time we had. Thank you so much Craig & LeAnn. You're the best. Our friends were asking if they could be married to Nate for a while so they could go, but I denied them.

SarahAnn said...

I was looking at Pictures and one of my best of memories was Traves, Gregg, Kaylene, Michael and I making faces at dinner Saturday night, I will put pics on my blog