Friday, June 10, 2011

A Whole Different Pregnancy

Surprise, Honey. I thought this would be great way to tell you.

No, I'm just kidding. There is no pregnancy. Instead, this was a phrase my colleague used at the start of this school year when I started to voice my anxiety about a certain situation having the potential to be a repeat of a situation I had several years ago. (I know that is rather obtuse, but because of confidiently reasons I cannot get more specific).

Anyway, during the course of the conversation she said to me "This is a whole different pregnancy". That simple phrase helped me realize that I need to let this situation develop in its own way and stand on its own merits. Having my friend help me see that each situation, while having many of the same components, is unique, helped me adjust my attitude and give the situation a chance to be a positive experience. We are at the end of the school year and, indeed, it was a "different pregnancy". Everyone is happy and things have gone well.

The "different pregnancy" phrase is one that I have thought of often this past year, particularly as I prepare to attend Girl's Camp with Katelyn. I haven't been to Girl's Camp since I was 13 years old. I went one year and vowed never to go back. I maintained that vow of Girl's Camp celibacy right up until I realized this will be Katelyn's last year of Camp and I hadn't ever gone with her. I have heard other moms relate what a special experience it was to go to Camp with their daughters and I wanted that experience, too (especially since I get a big 'ole FAIL for helping Katelyn with her Personal Progress Award). So, I'm trying to remember that this experience at Camp, while having many of the same components (ie. certification, structured activities, sleeping bags, infrequent showers, etc), is a "different pregnancy". It is going to be time to watch my daughter in action, so to speak. I will get to see how she interacts with her firiends. I will be able to see how she leads a group of younger girls. And I hope, I will get a chance to hear her quiet, but sure, testimony that the gospel is true.

1 comment:

jessica said...

You will be so glad you went...and K will be so grateful someday when she realizes the sacrifice it was for you to go. I do not do camp...not at all. Loathe it. But I am planning on going with my girls.