Thursday, June 30, 2011

Trying to Find a Good Balance

Katelyn is going to be a senior next year. She is also going to be 18 in October. She frequently reminds us of both of these things. She anxious for the independence she thinks turning 18 and being a senior are going to bring her.

I'm trying to figure out how to balance letting go, but also holding on. For example, tonight she is off to a masquarade party. Until about an hour ago, she really didn't have any more details than she was going with a group of friends. I know the friends. I like the friends. I trust the friends. But I was still uncomfortable not having more specifics.

Story interruption: My discomfort with this scenario probably had more to do with me and my antics as a teen-ager than Katelyn. Thus far, Katelyn has never pulled any of the antics that I did as a teen so the angst is my projection.

Resume story: So, I asked Katelyn to get more details, stating "if no specific details, you don't go until we get them." She was awesome and got more details. Unfortunately, the park the party was being held at is in Browne's Addition--not a great part of town. Now my internal debate was about whether to let her go or not because of the location and still not being really clear on who was sponsoring the party and who was supervising. She said it was one of the local Christian churches that was sponsoring the party and there would be plenty of adult supervision.

We let her go. She said she would call if the party wasn't what she expected or things got weird. She also agreed to come home at 11 instead of midnight because I didn't want her out 'til midnight in that part of town.

I'm trying to slowly cut the strings. It's not easy. But it is necessary. That's what we raise kids to be--independent and making good choices on their own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So tell me more about your antics as a teen-ager...
She's a good kid and you have given her a strong moral compass- trust that.
Love you
Dadio

jessica said...

Good Momma. Just keep praying for the spirit to guide this new phase...if you listen it's a win win!