Friday, October 29, 2010

I'm That Kind of Mother

(I'm the kind of mother who lets her boy dress as a "sinky sunk" [stinky skunk] and her daughter as a "beautiful princess".)
I'm the kind of mom who does not indulge her children very often. I'm the kind of mom who believes that you better be throwing up, seriously injured or bleeding profusely if you want to come home from school. I'm the kind of mom who usually parents by tough love and natural consequences. I'm the kind of mom who has been known to make her high school-aged child walk home from school (3 miles) after said child missed the bus. I'm the kind of mom who makes her children follow through on their committments, even if something way more fun or interesting comes along. I'm the kind of mom who is pretty serious and who the kids used to refer to as "the one who does all the work." I'm the kind of mom who is getting better at listening to the whole story before dispensing judgment. I'm the kind of mom who is learning to laugh at spilled milk--even if it is on the brand new couch that has only been in the house for 30 minutes. I'm the kind of mom who is discovering friends definitely have a greater pull than parents do when children reach teen-age years. I'm the kind of mom who seems to be enjoying her children more and more each day and realizing how quickly time is flying by. I'm the kind of mom who actually drove her high school-aged child to the bus stop and waited in the car with said child until the bus came just so the child would not get wet standing in the rain. I'm the kind of mom who can be quite silly (ok, weird) from time to time. I'm the kind of mom who has been known to break out into song when certain phrases are said...Oklahoma; Where are we going?; Who are you?...to name just a few phrases. I'm the kind of mom who wonders if I have done enough.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

You sound like a pretty awesome mom. And I bet that your kids know it.

Mom said...

The mom rules allow singing, especially in the presence of teenagers who will feign dying of embarrasment. Remember when Michael would sit at the very farthest end of the row at the movies to avoid appearing like he was a member of the family? Enjoy your "mom moments" - they can linger longer than you might expect.