Thursday, October 7, 2010

Holy Inappropriateness

Dear ESPN Magazine: What were you thinking? Did you think that somehow it was in good taste to put 6 naked women on your front cover? Did you think that I would be inspired to be a better person by looking a centerfold picture of Julia Mancuso? I guess I am supposed to be grateful that you had the water polo girls turned sideways with a water polo ball strategically placed or Julia Mancuso carefully covering certain areas of her body. But guess what? I'm not at all pleased or grateful to have received your "Body Issue". And yes, I do think this issue is worse than your competitor's swimsuit issue. I also found it quite telling that in your "advice" column Johnny Weir states: "Dressing sexy...is no longer seen as a bad thing: it shows empowerment." So, I guess you are sticking with the ole' stand-by "sex sells". Well I have news for you, it won't be selling issues in this house any longer! And don't even get me started on the fact that the only naked athletes you chose to feature were the ones with a ridiculously low amount of body fat. These athletes do not represent "normal". Sincerely, An Unhappy Customer PS The only article that I read with interest was the one about poop. The article that contained this line..."So if you're appalled, or even just grossed out, by a magazine full of beautiful athletes interrupted by a story on poop, good news: It means you're normal". Well, I'm standing proud to be a little odd because I was more bothered by the naked athletes than I was about the story on poop.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I'll bet some of these athletes have had orthopedic surgeries - did they airbrush out their scars?