Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Runner's High

Every time I go out for a run I always wonder if I will experience that elusive runner's high. Every time I come back just a little disappointed that there was no such endorphin rush. Every time until this last Saturday. I knew the run was going to be a good one when we hit our first hill. It was a steep climb and the four of us were spread out along the length of it. But I was in the lead and I felt like I literally floated up the hill. I knew we had a couple of more hills (plus 8 more miles) so I didn't want to get too excited. A mile later we hit the next hill, same thing...felt like I floated up the hill. We continued at a conversational pace and enjoyed the scenery. We saw lots of deer and I spotted a bald eagle sitting in a tree overlooking the lake. When we hit the turn around point, I was still feeling good. We had 2.5 miles left in the 10 mile run and then it happened. That endorphin rush! It's real! When it hits, you feel like you could go on forever, nothing hurting, nothing telling you to stop. I was even able to pick up the pace for the last couple of miles. I was so jacked when I got home. I felt like I could do anything. As I was reflecting on the feelings I had during that run, I realized that those are the same feelings I have when my mind, body and spirit are totally in tune with my Heavenly Father and His will for me. When I am in that mode, I feel like I can endure any trial or challenge that comes my way. Unfortunately in my case, that "in-tuneness" is almost as elusive as the runner's high. I wish it wasn't and I do try hard most of the time to maintain that level of spirituality. But you know, life happens and then I forget and then I get snapped back and the process starts all over. I love how I feel when I know I am about my Heavenly Father's business. Now I just need to figure out how to keep that going all of the time, but I guess that is what this life is for. Here's to runner's highs and spiritual highs--may they not always be so elusive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, if you're having a conversation you're not running hard enough. I can't say I ever enjoyed running, just did it when I had to. Love you.

Dan

jessica said...

So your telling me I have to go ten miles to feel the high!!!? I went eight on Saturday and there was no such high for me. I guess I have to go a little further next time...it was fun seeing you though.

The spiritual high is so real. That is what I miss most about being Primary President, I felt like I was always on a different spiritual plane because I had to be. Now days I have to work for it.