Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Panhandling

You know times are rough when, on my lunch hour, I have to take a milk jug and go around begging for change. I learned a couple of things while I was doing this yesterday:
  • It's all about location! When I was just going around asking for change, I didn't get any donations. However, when I moved to a location where I knew people were getting change, it was amazing the way they just dropped their change into my jug. Sometimes I didn't even have to ask.
  • At first I was a little embarrassed to be asking for change, but after awhile it wasn't so bad.
  • 7th grade students will buy junk food as soon as it is available. The school store was not all that busy until after lunch was served. The school can't serve junk food while the lunch service is going on, but as soon as the last student is served...bring on the junk food. Chips, ice cream, crackers were all awaiting the hungry 7th graders at the school "snack shack" as Carson calls it. Lucky for me, most things are under a buck and the kids got change.

Please don't worry. This coin collection is for a good cause. I don't anticipate needing to do this more than a couple of more weeks.

PS Spokane Guild School I hope you appreciate my efforts and I hope my 7th grade advisory group learns a little about giving along the way.

No comments: