Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Element of Surprise

I do not like the cold. I do not enjoy the snow. If I could, I would live year-round in someplace that is warm and sunny 98% of the year. Today's events just confirm that I am NOT a snow-lover (or really even a snow appreciator). I'm sitting quietly in my warm, cozy office (somehow I've managed to convince them that I really need the temperature set at 78 degrees to be fully functional--actually my office doesn't have its own temperature regulator so I just think it gets hot)...anyway, there I am doing paperwork when a blinking light and blaring alarm go off. It is a fire drill. Fortunately I am in my warm, cozy office where I keep my coat and gloves so I am able to grab them quickly--unlike the 200 1st and 2nd graders who were watching "Safety Santa" in the lunchroom and had to evacuate out without the coats, gloves, hats, boots, etc. Oh, I forgot to mention that we are in the middle of a tremendous Artic Blast and it has been snowing all day. So out we trudge into the snow and cold. Not a happy face was seen--teachers, students or staff were all shivering and frowny. Ironically, and fortunately, "Saftey Santa" is from the fire department and we were able to re-enter the building quite quickly. Apparently if you have an unplanned fire drill, only the fire department can let you back in the building. Yeah for Safety Santa and the fire department!!

No comments: