Monday, November 3, 2008

Smile

I was going to blog about how I was a tortured soul yesterday during Fast and Testimony meeting and how it had nothing to do with the actual testimonies that were being born. No, I was tortured by the toddler sitting next to me c.r.u.n.c.h.i.n.g every so LOUDLY on his goldfish crackers. Those yummy, baked cheesy goodness that I will never be able to eat again. Oh how I wanted to rip that bag right out of his chubby little hand and eat everyone of those crackers. But I didn't. I just sat there, trying to focus on the feeling the Spirit, all the while ignoring my stomach and my head, which was almost mocking me with "Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, you can't have those". That was what I was going to blog about, but then I thought how would that make me sound? So instead I want to share with you another simple joy. Tonight in yoga the instructor asked us to think about what the best part of our day was. At first I thought it was the beautiful stars that were shining in the sky when I was running this morning (I've mentioned this before), but then another thought came into my mind. The best part of the day was when J (student at one of my schools) smiled at me. J has autism. He is non-verbal and most of the time you aren't sure if he completely understands what is going on. Today I greeted him as I always do, but this time he paused, turned to me and smiled. It was awesome. I loved that part of the day. Another simple joy to add to the memory bank to draw upon on those days when things are a little rough.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you'd become allergic to Goldfish crackers as well. You really need to figure out all this allergic business.

Dan

Anonymous said...

I'm not even going to try to wheat-proof the dressing for Thanksgiving - sorry. There will be plenty of other goodies though -just don't eat the piecrusts & those will all be OK.

Nurse Graham said...

Danno--I wish I could figure out this allergic business. i was really hoping that having my gallbladder out would have helped with the allergies. But it didn't. Oh well.

Mom--don't worry about trying to wheat-proof Thanksgiving. I don't even wheat-proof my house. My family still eats pasta, pizza, real bread, all things good and delicious. I just eat a bowl of Cocoa Pebbles.

Anonymous said...

Cocoa Pebbles for breakfast & french fries for lunch ARRRGH! You've been turned to the dark side...........

Anonymous said...

Dan, they don't make an appropriate psychotropic drug to take away her allergies. HA, HA! Just kidding!
Must really suck not being able to eat anything.

Nate