Monday, August 19, 2013

It Wouldn't be a Vacation without a Beach

OK, truth be told, when I was dreaming of visiting Charleston, I was not dreaming of going to the beach. I do not enjoy all of the sticky sand that seems to cling to everything. I have an irrational fear of  sharks and so don't go into the water much deeper than my ankles. But the vacation was a family vacation and I knew that the kids would enjoy being at the beach much more than they would enjoy staying at a historic hotel downtown.

So a condo on Folly Beach was the place for us. We looked out onto a tidal river that allowed us to watch the dolphins play and feed.

It also gave us a chance to see some beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

But most of all it gave Dave and the kids a chance to hone their boogie boarding skills.


Dave was a good enough coach for the kids that someone asked him to give them lessons. Dave politely declined saying he was just a dad out enjoying some time with his kids. At another time, a young boy was trying to convince his mom to let him go out as far as Dave and Carson and the mom said that the only reason Dave and Carson were out that far was because they were local and knew the waves.

No one was injured until the second to last day when Dave was stung by a jellyfish. That was also the same day he kicked a shark. But I was a good sport and still went in the ocean to take a picture with my hubby.

Folly Beach also was a great place to take a family photo. Well, the setting was beautiful, but the little biting flies that harassed us the whole time almost ruined the opportunity. I'm glad it didn't because I think the picture turned out pretty good. It was a nice way to end a fabulous vacation.

No comments: