Monday, August 26, 2013

Would You Rather?

Tonight was our ward's community service activity. We were working at a local elementary school, helping the custodial staff prepare the grounds for the first day of school. Carson and I arrived promptly at 6 o'clock, the activity's start time. With the exception of the custodian, the ward member in charge of the activity, and a mother/daughter pair, we were the only ones. Our promptness was rewarded by giving us the opportunity to pick what we wanted to do. The options were:
  • washing windows
  • moving/spreading pea gravel
  • raking leaves
Which one would you choose?

Which one do you think Carson picked? And me?

Well Carson picked washing windows. I just shook my head, but at least he picked something and didn't complain about his choice. And he actually did a nice job with the windows.

I picked spreading gravel. There is just something about hard manual labor that makes me sweat that I find so rewarding. I told Carson that if I was going to be out, I wanted to feel like I had actually done something. Raking the gravel, getting a blister, sweeping the gutters...all activities that made me feel like I had been very productive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have picked gravel too, albeit for different reasons. Yeah, it's nice to think that there's something about hard physical labor being the main draw. But honestly, I'd rather eat shards of glass and slide down a 50ft razor blade than wash windows. And raking leaves? That's why I have kids. :)

Nate