Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Another Post-op Anesthesia Funny from Carson

Today was the day that Carson went in to have the pins removed from his finger. Then anesthesiologist gave him the option of a nerve block or going to sleep. Carson chose going to sleep because he had already been poked once for the IV and he said "One needle poke is enough for the day." So off to la-la land he went.

Thirty minutes later the doctor is in the waiting room letting me know everything went well and that Carson is back in recovery. Fifteen minutes later the recovery room nurse calls to tell me that they are going to be transporting him down to the room where he started the day; they will pick me up along the way. Another 10 minutes go by and we are situated in his room.

The conversation with Carson during the next 30 minutes is like having a conversation with Mountain Man from "Duck Dynasty" except that Mountain Man does not talk in a continuous loop. The loop consisted of these two statements:
  • "Man, I don't remember being so tired last time."
  • "What are we going to do for lunch? I'm ready to go."
I had just about reached my limit of ways to patiently answer those questions when Carson asks

"How long did the surgery take?"

"About 30 minutes," I reply as he stares blankly at me.

Finally he says "You should have said, 'It's 2018 and you have been in a coma for 5 years'."

I laughed and said I would let him say that to me the next time I have surgery.

He says, "Oh, what do you have scheduled?"

As I am getting ready to answer, "nothing", he says,
"Boob implant?"

"No, no boob implant," I say in between chuckles.

"OK. Good" is his reply before he starts again with "Man, I'm tired. I don't remember being so tired the last time."

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Awesome!
Normally when I wake up after surgery I totally know whats going on and dont say anythign funny, so i'm always jealous of those who do!

mom said...

Must take after his mom - of course your "conversation loop
" was from a car crash concussion but it went like this: Have I missed the half-time show (a band trip was in the future); What day is it? Can I play with this on? (humongous splint for broken finger) Did I miss the band trip?......yada, yada,yada for several hours until the ER decided I could listen to you at home.

mom said...

PS Hope he's doing well & he's happy with his range of motion.