Thursday, March 7, 2013

Enjoy the Moments...Even the Frustrating Ones

A couple of weeks ago a colleague asked me during lunch how the kids were doing. That question came shortly after a rather frustrating moment with one of the kids. Since this colleague has kids the same age as Katelyn and Carson, and I consider him a friend, I shared the frustrating moment. He just nodded in understanding.

I was still replaying the frustrating conversation in my mind a couple of days later. The angry words rattled around in my head as I read this blog post. Her personal revelation from the Lord, "It doesn't matter how long you have him, but how much you love him," was just what I needed to read at that moment. Because as I read those words not only was my heart softened, but my mind remembered another blog post that I had recently read.

I didn't expect to find such comforting and wise words on a running blog, but when I read that pain is a luxury I felt like my Heavenly Father was trying to poke me a little, to see if I was ready to be taught.

Now the knowledge that pain is just part of this life and that pain happens so that we might feel joy is not a new concept to me. I have been taught this principle my entire life. What was new this time was a different perspective on pain. Pain wasn't something just to be endured until we made through to the other side. It wasn't necessarily only given to make us stronger. To read "pain is a luxury" put a much more positive spin on how I viewed pain.

Those words taught me to realize how lucky I am to be living.
To be surrounded by people I love.

Those words taught me to be grateful for everything
Even for the frustrating moments

Because in the end, it doesn't matter how long I have my children (friends, family, colleagues)
What matters is how much I loved them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good that you finally realized that, because you're stuck with me forever ;)

Nate