Monday, March 25, 2013

Inspired by Their Faith

My friend's dad had surgery today to remove a cancerous prostate. The biopsy showed the tumor to be a Stage IV tumor. They won't know the results of the node biopsy until Friday.

I told my friend I would pray for her and her family. I found myself praying throughout the day. I prayed that he would be healed according to their faith. I prayed that their faith would be strong enough to accept the Lord's will, no matter what.

As I reflected on my prayer and my friend's mother, a calm, peaceful feeling came over me. I knew without a shadow of a doubt that my friend's mother has learned how to turn all things over to God. She will be at peace without what ever may happen.

I find her faith inspiring. I was first introduced to her great faith last summer when I went to hear her speak in front of her congregation. The story she shared was about her thoughts and feelings as she was being drug down a ravine by a higher-than-a-kite attacker. She told how she fought, trying hard to remember everything her retired-cop husband had taught her. She also uttered a vocal prayer during the whole ordeal. She said at one point in time she realized that she probably wasn't going to make it out alive. AND she was completely at peace with that! She knew the Lord. She loved the Lord. She was prepared to meet Him if that was His will. She uttered one more prayer, kicked at the attacker one last time, and then the miracle. The attacker became completely fed up with her and defeated by her fighting spirit. He said "God you ARE a fighter," and let her go.

I was in tears by time she finished her presentation. Her words, her belief in God, her willingness to submit to whatever He had in store was so moving. I could feel God's presence in the room as she shared her testimony of Him. I immediately felt connected to her. I was so glad that my friend, her daughter, invited me to hear her speak.

As their family faces this difficult time, I know that they will be comforted. They will find peace and strength in God's grace. I am glad that I could offer up my prayer of faith on their behalf.

No comments: