Thursday, July 26, 2012

Versailles and the Louvre



Versailles was my favorite place that we visited. I was blown away by the opulance and over-the-top living. It seemed like every surface was covered in the finest material; either gilded in gold, lined with velvet, painted, etc.

There was imported marble and exotic wood furnishings throughout. And even though it was very crowded and there was really weird modern art displayed all over the main palace, I really enjoyed my time here.
Just one of the really weird modern art pieces.
Once we left the main palace, we headed out to the gardens. Oh, the gardens. I could have spent all day wandering through those lovely gardens and discovering all the nooks and crannies. I wanted to just drink in all of the beauty in a leisurely manner.
We worked our way to Marie Antoinette's palace and her mock peasant village. They were just as amazing as the main palace.

Finally it was time to head out but not before we took a minute to enjoy the swans and feed the cignets.

Was going to make some comment about the "Ugly Duckling" but I didn't want anyone to think I was referring to my hubs.
We also toured a small portion of the Louvre (not on the same day as Versailles). The Louvre is sort-of like the Smithsonian--impossible to see it all in one day. Since Carson had actually studied up about the Louvre, we let him choose the areas to be seen. He wanted to see the Mona Lisa and Wedding in Canaan as well as some of the Egyptian exhibits.

Trying to see the Mona Lisa was a bit of an adventure as it is very popular and everyone wants to see it. The area in front of the painting is roped off and people just pack in to the area. There is hardly any elbow room, but if you want to see the painting you just have to elbow your way up to the front.
Yes I did elbow my way to the front to get a picture.
Look at the colors and movement in this painting. Incredible.

Winged Victory --we passed this sculpture several times

Dying Slave --another "must see" for Carson
This was an amazing trip. I am so grateful that we, along with my parents, were able to provide our children with this experience. 

1 comment:

jessica said...

Your Europe adventure sounds so incredible...food, hotels, museums, gardens...all of it. I am so glad you did this with you family. It looks like the memories you made are priceless!