Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Heidelberg, Germany

Castle that sits on the hill above Heidelberg
Thoughts and impressions:

It seems impossible that I'm really here was the first thought that went through my head. I've been dreaming of visiting Europe for so long and now here it is. I know I should be more excited, and maybe even a little goose-pimply, to be surrounded by buildings that were built even before the USA was established, but truth be told I'm having trouble feeling the excitement. I am too worried that perhaps this trip is too much, too extravagant, that maybe we should be using the money spent on this trip feeding the hungry and clothing the naked. It took me a day or two and several prayers to not feel guilty and relax enough to enjoy the trip.

Old Heidelberg, where we stayed, is a beautiful village that still has a very much "old world" feel with cobblestone streets and old timbered buildings. Our hotel looked over the old town hall and town square. There was a fountain in the middle of square where the night watchman would start his town tour every night.
The night watchman
The square stayed busy all night long. And I mean all night. Because our hotel did not have air-conditioning and we had to leave the windows open, we were quite aware of how busy it stayed. Dave and I both were awakened both nights we stayed in Heidelberg to the boisterous singing of drunk Germans. They sang from 2 a.m. to about 5 a.m. in the town square before stumbling off to their own homes. Carson remained completely unaware of the seranading as he slept like a rock.

I really enjoyed the location of our hotel, but if I were to stay there again, I would bring ear plugs and ask for a fan.
Where we stayed while in Heidelberg
One of the reasons we chose to start our trip in Heidelberg is because of the castle that sits above the town. It did not disappoint.
A picture of the old castle wall

Looking across the courtyard

Wine keg from either the 1500's or 1600's

In the wine cellar
Stayed tune tomorrow for some more pictures and memories of Heidelberg.

1 comment:

jessica said...

I am so glad you went! I have a feeling that you will never ever regret it. I will enjoy every post and every picture because I'm pretty sure I will never go there :)