Monday, July 16, 2012

Summer Vacation

It's summer time and summer time means a summer vacation. This year's vacation had an interesting genesis.

For Katelyn's high school graduation gift, my parents took her on a river cruise down the Danube River. They then finished up the trip in Paris. I have always wanted to travel to Paris, well actually anywhere in Europe, so Paris was just fine. My parents and Katelyn were only going to be in Paris for 4 days. I was so excited at the thought of meeting them there. David, however, thought it preposterous to spend money on hotel, airfare, and food for only four days so he nixed the idea rather quickly.

I was pretty disappointed but I did understand his reasoning so I adjusted to not going to Paris. Not long after this decision was made, we were watching the movie "Up" (I hadn't ever seen it before, but David had). As we were watching the movie, Dave was busy on the laptop and jotting down notes. After a bit, I asked him what he was doing. He said he was pricing flights to Europe, hotel prices, etc. Basically, he was planning our "great adventure" because he didn't want to be the old guy in the movie.

And that is how our European vacation came to be. And instead of 4 days in Paris, we spent 10 days in Germany, Switzerland, and France. Over the next few days I will share pictures, highlights, and tips gleaned from our vacation.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Can. Not. Wait.

(ab

Jessica said...

(my phone was being dumb and cut me off early)
Anyway...you should TOTALLY write Pixar with that awesome story about Up and your European vacation. Darling.

Nurse Graham said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Jess. I e-mailed Pixar this morning with my story. I'll let you know if I get any response.

Maggie said...

I was always a bit hazy about how this vacation came about. Glad I know the first part, now I can't wait for the rest.