Saturday, May 19, 2012

Satisfied with Effort and Results

Today was Windermere Race Day. Even though I had trained for the full marathon, I ran the half. Running the half was always the back-up plan if it looked like the weather was going to be too hot.

I made the right choice for me. I had a pretty good day. I got a PR by 40 seconds and finished under 2 hours. Those were both goals of mine for this race since I wasn't running the full. I did feel my body starting to shut down about mile 10 due to the heat. But since I have lots of experience with overheating during a race, I knew that if I wanted to finish I had to walk little bits. And that's just what I did.
Still feeling pretty good at this point--about mile 6.
Another thing that I did was not worry about what my watch said. I only looked at it one time (about mile 7). I totally wanted to look at it at mile 11 or 12 but I didn't. I wanted to just run according to effort/what my body was telling me rather than pushing for a certain time. Apparently this was just the right approach.

I know I gave it my all--my gut is telling me so! Ha, ha. Now I need to go get my foot looked at and get an official diagnosis for my self-diagnosed stress fracture.
Take this stupid fuel belt. It's irritating the crap out of me. Oh and isn't the scenery beautiful?

Coming up the home stretch. Almost there.

There's the finish line and me almost there.

With my medal and my favorite recovery drink...CHOCOLATE MILK!
Now if I can just find a race that stays in the 40's or 50's for the duration of the race!

Looking forward to the next one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Top of Utah Marathon. Starts in Blacksmith Fork Canyon goes to Logan. Usually run end of Sept/first of Oct when temps are nice and cool in Cache Valley.

Good job on your race.

Nate

Nurse Graham said...

My friends that ran Top of Utah last year said that it is a faster race than Windermere...they ran Windermere this year. Might consider it for next year. This year I'm doing the Victoria Half over Conference Weekend in October. At least that's the current plan.

jessica said...

Way to listen to your body. I didn't...dumb, dumb, dumb! I am so glad you had a good race and you looked so dang adorable doing it!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your race. We're excited to see everyone in Montana in a couple months.

Dan