Monday, March 5, 2012

If We Won the Lottery

Last night we were watching the high-brow entertainment The Lottery Changed My Life. It started the conversation between all family members--Katelyn was present but she ws sleeping so I don't think that counts. Anyway, Carson asked what would be different or what would we do different if we won the lottery. Dave and I both said almost in unison "I don't think we would do much different than what we do now."

"What about inivesting?"  Well we invest now, but I suppose the types of investments might change a little.

"What about travel?" Well, we actually travel quite a bit now, but I suppose we might take a few more trips. Dave could go fishing and hunting more in more exotic locations than North Idaho & Eastern Washington. And I might actually get to visit Charlotte, South Carolina.

"What about your job, Mom?"  Oh, my job. Well actually that would probably change. I would quit. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy what I do, but yesterday's Relief Society lesson left me feeling a little guilty. Not that the lesson had anything to do with women working. It had absolutely nothing to do with that. The lesson was about "serving the one". The RS president was giving the lesson and she expressed her appreciation for her presidency (of which I am a part) and how much they had done last week. What she should have said was how much the 2nd counselor and secretary had done. All she got from me at our presidency meeting was "I'm sorry I can't this week."

That phrase, "I can't", was what I kept hearing as the other speakers presented their feelings on service and how to serve through visiting teaching. And why can't I? Well work does interfere with some of the available time that I have for serving.. And then when I'm not at work I'm trying to take care of home things. But that really isn't a good excuse or rationalization because my kids are mostly big and can take care of themselves. And then I thought about how tired I am when I get home from work. But really, aren't we all tired at the end of the day?

We all make choices in how we use the 24 hours we are given. I guess on Sunday I was just questioning if my choices have been the best. They certainly haven't been bad choices & my family has been blessed through my working (thank you CVEA for negotiating good benefits), but I can't help but wonder if there is more I can do to serve & strengthen those in my ward family and in the community if I wasn't working.

No comments: