Thursday, March 15, 2012

Bible Study

Learning is one of my focus words for this year. So when my schedule finally had an opening on a Monday afternoon I was excited to join the T.R.E.E.S group at McDonald Elementary. T.R.E.E.S is a group of teachers who meet once a month for bible study. I have been wanting to attend since this group started last year. I'm glad I went and I felt that it was an hour well spent.

This month the focus was on "goodness" and we studied scriptures in the bible that outlined the goodness of God. It was interesting to be listening as other members of the group read from the NIV translation. Sometimes it was a significant difference from the KJV, but mostly the message was the same and the wording not too different.

I did appreciate the difference in the translations when we read 1 Timothy 2:9-10, particlularly verse 10. To me, The NIV reads better to describe what a righteous, modest woman should dress herself in. Sometimes I think in the LDS culture we focus too heavily on trying to define "modest" in regards to clothing (especially for young women) almost to the exclusion of thinking in terms of behavior. Having the NIV state "adorn yourself in goodness" helps place the focus on where it should be--good works that glorify Christ.

I'm pretty sure that if my schedule continues to have openings on the Monday's that T.R.E.E.S meet, I will continue to go. This was a nice way to study the Bible and get a little different perspective. My hope is that I will also be able to enrich the conversation and reinforce that Mormons are Christians, too. Believe it or not I still run into this notion that Mormons aren't Christians from time to time. That notion is so weird to me.

Finally I want to share this Benedictine prayer I saw on the Segullah website a couple of weeks ago. It spoke to me as another piece of my focus words this year....learning and leadership..

May God bless you with discomfort
At easy answers, half truths, and superficial relationships,
So that you may live deep within your heart.

May God bless you with anger
At injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people,
So that you may work for justice, freedome, and peace.

May God bless you with tears
To shed for those who suffer pain, rejection, hunger, and war,
So that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and to turn their pain to joy.

And may God bless you with enough foolishness
To believe that you can make a difference in the world,
So that you can do what others claim cannot be done,
To bring justice and kindness to all our children and the poor.
-Sister Ruth Fox

1 comment:

Mom said...

Great post. I think the addition of "Viture" to the YOung Women's Values is a reflection of the need for improved behavior. It is scary to see how levels of civily & decorum have declined. Yet today on a spot on Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, English school boys commented on how she has the right attitude for a member of the royalty, so in some places it is still appreciated & expected -that's what has changed so much: no one expects good behavior anymore & will excuse almost anything.