Friday, December 9, 2011

Don't Dis Santa

When I was growing up, our Christmas lists to Santa weren't very long but they did include requests for gifts that might be a little bit out of mom and dad's price range. Santa was the one person we knew could fill that gap. I was so thankful for Santa.

Best Buy is running a series of commercials that I find rude and disrespectful.


It took me a couple of times viewing this commercial to figure out just what it was that bothered me so bad and then it finally hit me...the woman is basically telling Santa, "I don't need you." I find her attitude toward Santa arrogant, condescending, and ungrateful.

I'm sure I am reading much more into this 30 second commercial than Best Buy ever intended, but I thought it a shame that Best Buy thinks we have evolved into a society that is so willing to dismiss Santa. The women in the commercial states, "I guess I didn't leave any room for you." How sad that she would be unwilling to make room for any gifts Santa may have for her, and instead, gloat in her ability to provide for herself. To me, Santa is the personification of gift-giving, love, and service. I might be reaching a bit here, but if our society can say to Santa, "I don't have room for you", what are we saying about Christ, who is the literal ultimate gift-giver, Master of love and service?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate those commercials too. They are the epitome of arrogance and selfishness. The whole idea of "give me all the glory" is what is depicted to me. I don't like Best Buy much anyway, so they won't miss my business, but I'm with you on this one.

Nate

Mom said...

I'm with you guys on this one, too. Santa represents the spirit of Christmas - giving joy to others. Almost all of these "I can do it myself" commercails also push "self-gifting" (the new Kindle commercial comes to mind). This is the biggest trend in Christmas giving. I think it stared with a car commercial 15 years ago or so. One little boy last night (our turn as Mr &Mrs You-Know-Who)wanted money so he could get what he really wanted without telling mom or dad- Also removes the necessity or "being good" if you just do it yourself!

PS Carson got his name in the paper - Caoch Owen said one of their dissappointments was the loss of Carson Graham, a returning starter, at 106 to a shoulder injury.