Friday, July 30, 2010

Happy Birthday Boy

Today you are 14. Happy birthday little buddy. I can't believe that you are 14 already. I can't believe that you are going to be a freshman! next year. I really don't know where the time has gone. I still feel like there are so many things that I should teach you before you leave. Yes, I know you still have 4 more years at home with us. But really, that is just about as long as a blink of the eye. I wrote a list of things I think you should know. Did you know that I am a "list" person? So is your dad. Those two things weren't on the list, but maybe they should be. Anyway, the list...
  1. You should know that I am going to miss driving you to school each day. This last school year I really enjoyed doing this for you, even though the drive was only about 5 minutes. Sometimes we had the best little talks in that 5 minutes.
  2. You should know that I am also going to miss not having you at a school that I work at. This is the first time in 8 years that I won't get to see you at some point during the school day.
  3. You should know that high school is a clean slate. Make sure that you make a good first impression.
  4. You should know that first impressions really count. Right or wrong, people place a lot of value on their first impression of you.
  5. You should know that your dad and I will always be here for you. We will do our best to help you.
  6. You should know that you are the only person I will play basketball with. Shooting hoops in the basement has been a lot of fun for me. Even though I'm really bad at it and I don't like to do things that I am really bad at.
  7. You should know not to ever let the fear of failure interfere with the possibility of success. Yes, sometimes the learning curve is steep, but the rewards of accomplishment are often great.
  8. You should know that I have been so impressed with how well you have done keeping up with the kitchen-cleaning duties. You have set a very good example for your sister to follow when she has to start resuming some of her kitchen responsibilities next month.
  9. You should know that the word "gospel" means good news. And with good news comes peace, happiness and joy.
  10. You should know that by living the gospel teachings, as found in the Holy Bible and Book of Mormon, you will find the most happiness, joy, and peace. I know this to be true. I know that living a Christ-like life and trying to always do God's will, will not always be easy. But it will always be worth it.
  11. You should know that when I was 18, I received a special blessing. That blessing said that one of my greatest gifts and blessings would be my children. You should know that you truly are a fulfilment of that blessing.
  12. You should know that you were not sent to this family by accident. We needed you in our family. We have many things to learn from each other.
  13. You should know that I know some day you will make a terrific father. You have the same natural ease around children that your father and Uncle Dan have.
  14. You should know that no matter how big you get, you will always be my "little buddy".

I hope you have a terrific birthday, Carson. I love you.

PS You should know that I almost made it through typing this whole list without crying. I'm sure you know by now that I am a crier

2 comments:

jessica said...

Why do the years go by so fast yet the days seem so looooonnnnggg. In four years Maya will be 14...that is a blink for sure. I'm all misty thanks to this post...happy birthday to your little buddy.

Anonymous said...

He should also know that all of his granmas and grandpas love him very much, and love giving him a "hard time".
He should also know that grandpa is somewhat suspicious of his mother having been able to get through the list without crying.