Friday, July 2, 2010

Toddlers and Teen-agers

Have I ever told you my theory regarding toddlers and teen-agers? No? Well my theory is that toddlers and teen-agers have the same brain. Well, not exactly the same brain, because teen-agers have more experience. But sometimes, I would swear their thought patterns, teen-agers and toddlers, are the same. And recent brain research would indicate that this theory might just hold water. So, if you are a parent of a toddler and you find yourself repeating, "This is just a phase. We'll make it through", you might want to remember that phrase for when they are teen-agers. Because, I promise you, you will see many of the same behaviors repeated...
  • random temper tantrums--yep.
  • various ways of saying "I do it myself"--definitely
  • moments when you say "What were you thinking?"--oh yeah
  • daily messes--certainly, except toddlers usually aren't as sassy when they are asked to help clean up.
  • afternoon naps--Hallelujah!
But just like with toddlers, you quickly learn not to mess with the afternoon naptime of a teen-ager. They get very grumpy! And they are a lot harder to put to bed earlier. But I really love my teen-agers. And for the most part, they are very good. And when they are taking an afternoon siesta, I just want to cuddle up to them and hold on to them forever. But my recent attempt at gently hugging a sleeping teen generated this response, "Why do have to look at me or hug me when I'm sleeping?" See what I mean about not messing with a sleeping teen?

1 comment:

jessica said...

Thanks for the heads up...there is no light at the end of the tunnel.