Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Hot Rod and Kate

I'm not sure what precipitated the action taken today, but David decided that Katelyn needed to learn how to drive a stick shift. So he took her out for a drive in the Honda. It is funny how differently the two of us (Dave and I) refer to the Honda. I call it the "baby car" and he calls it the "hot rod". Thinking about learning to drive a stick shift reminded me of the time I taught my brother Dan to drive a manual. For the most part, he is a pretty unflappable guy. But almost running into a fire hydrant while trying to turn a corner caused him to stop the car, get out, and refuse to drive for the rest of the day. After a couple of hours (or maybe the next day), we practiced again. This time the results were much better. Good thing, too, because he needed to drive a manual so he could drive his Jeep or his Mustang. He had a rough life. So Katelyn's lesson must either be going very well or very poorly because they have been out for almost an hour. Let's hope for well--makes for a much more pleasant evening when she's not all moody.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the Honda has taken the place of the "drug car" in Dave's heart. Do you still have an intact clutch?

Nate

jessica said...

There is no way in this world my mom could have ever taught me how to drive a stick shift. I think I would have ran into a building on purpose...I let my boyfriend teach me. I got really good and ended up teaching my brothers and my two of my cousins. I'm not sure how I will do with my own kids though...