Tuesday, April 20, 2010

This Is Not Good, Grandpa

One day when Katelyn was about 3 or 4 my dad called, just to say "hi" and see what we were up to that day. Katelyn has always loved to answer the phone so of course she beat me to it that day. I can't remember the exact conversation or what had been going on in our house prior to the phone call, but the conversation went something like this: Katelyn: Hello. Dad: Hi Katie, how are you? Katelyn: This is not good, grandpa. I'm sure there must have been some minor disaster going on either with Carson (who would have been 2 or 3) or Pepper, our black lab who was notorious for getting into the garbage and then throwing up all over the house. Anyway, "This is not good, grandpa" has gone down in infamy. It is a phrase that is often said when things are going a little haywire. So I am saying it today because.... We have BIRDS making a nest in the vent to our microwave!! I was fine when they were nesting under the deck. But some industrious bird has pulled the cover off the vent opening just so it can make a nest in there. Oh the racket that was heard this morning. Fortunately, Carson noticed it and now David will be informed of the new tenants so he can serve up an eviction notice as soon as he gets home from work today. And then, David, the fixer, will have to devise a cover that cannot be removed. This was not the post meant for today so stay tuned for tomorrow's post about how a certain boy in the family ate "girl" food and liked it.

2 comments:

Mom said...

There's "girl food"? I mean besides quiche.
As I remember the story, your dad was babysitting for a bit (can't remeber why but I'm sure it must have been RS-associated)& there was a slight problem with the potty..... but you're right, "This is not good, grandpa" has become a family catch phrase, useful & funny.

Katie said...

Ask my parents about the woodpecker who lived in their attic for YEARS before my dad got around to enforcing the eviction...