Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Lost Childhood?

The other night David sent the kids on a Blizzard run. Honestly, I thought I would be the first one to send Katelyn on a frivilous errand, and maybe I still will be, since in this house a Blizzard run is NOT a frivilous errand. But I digress. When the children arrived back home, Carson was laughing and Katelyn came in exclaiming "This boy is impossible to drive with." Apparently, Carson thought that Katelyn getting her license granted him a whole new level of independence. He was sorely disappointed when his sister would not "See what this baby can do", wouldn't let him drive even "just down the block", and wouldn't let him crank the radio up even though "these are the greatest songs ever made (thank you 1980's)". In apparent complete and utter exasperation he cried "Come on, Kate. Have you lost your childhood?" No, son. Not lost her childhood, just moved forward one giant step in growing up. And because of this move, she has gained another level of trust, and therefore, independence from us. Learn from her example my young Padawan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work Katie, glad to hear the driving is going well. You should tell your grandpa you'd like to keep the Smart for a while until you feel more comfortable driving larger vehicles.

Dan

bell family said...

ahh nurse Graham I kind of guessed when you first found my blog and I read yours but I am in Relief Society too! (Okay actually my calling is in young womens) Birds of a feather. Who is sister sassy's blog do you know someone that knows me somehow? what half marathon are you doing? Good luck with the run and with the daughter driving!